Balsamic Caprese Chicken
Easy, quick, and flavorful bruschetta chicken is the perfect and light weekday meal.
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed fresh basil leaves, sliced (about 10 leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 3 chicken breasts (about 1.25 lbs/ 575 g) sliced in half to make 2 thinner breasts each
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Italian seasoning
- 8 oz (250 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) balsamic glaze or ½ cup (125 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Spring lettuce mix or arugula for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of olive oil, and 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) each of the salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Toss to combine; Set aside.
- Heat the 12" (30-cm) Cast Iron Grill Pan Skillet over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Season the chicken with the remaining olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes to develop dark golden brown grill lines. Flip the chicken, then transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C). Remove and place a slice of cheese on each chicken breast.
- To serve, place the chicken on top of the lettuce, if using. Top with the tomato mixture and drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 410, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 145 mg, Sodium 390 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 8 g (includes 5 g added sugar), Protein 42 g
To make your own balsamic glaze, heat ½ cup (125 mL) vinegar in small saucepan over medium-low heat until it simmers. Continue to simmer over medium-low heat for about 12-15 minutes, or until reduced by about half and it coats the back of a spoon. (Be careful not to have the heat up too high or it can scorch).
You can make this on a grill outside as well. Follow the same directions and grill over medium high with the grill-lid closed, flipping once until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
If you have time, let the chicken marinate in the oil, salt and pepper for an hour or 2 in the refrigerator to help season the meat.