Tater Tot Casserole with Sausage
Whether it is breakfast, brunch or dinner, this tater tot casserole is comfort food that everyone wants.
- 1 lb (450 g) ground mild pork breakfast sausage
- 1 pkg (12 oz/340g) frozen chopped onions and bell peppers (see Cook’s tip)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) half & half
- 8 oz (250 g) Monterrey jack cheese, coarsely grated (2 cups/500 mL), divided
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 bag (32 oz or 800 g) frozen tater tots
- Optional toppings: sliced green onions and salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes, breaking it up into crumbles. Add the frozen chopped vegetables and continue cooking over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, and vegetables are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, half & half, half of the grated cheese, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Place the sausage mixture in the bottom of the Stone Rectangular Baker, pour the egg mixture on top, and arrange the tater tots in a single layer. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.
- Top with green onions, if using and serve with salsa, if you’d like.
- 10 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 510, Total Fat 36 g, Saturated Fat 14 g, Cholesterol 185 mg, Sodium 1130 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 21 g
You can substitute 1 large onion, chopped and 1 large red bell pepper, chopped for the frozen vegetables.
Try Pepper Jack cheese instead of Monterrey Jack cheese for some extra spice.
You can prep everything up the night before and bake it in the morning. Just follow the recipe through step 4, cover and refrigerate. Then bake as directed.
You can cut the recipe in half and bake in the Stone Square Baker.