Cheesy Shells & Italian Sausage
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 8 oz. (250 g) hot Italian turkey sausage (2 links, casings removed)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1½ cups (375 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups (375 mL) marinara sauce
- 8 oz. (250 g) medium shell pasta (3 cups/750 mL)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) seasoned croutons
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 oz. (125 g) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
Press the garlic into the pan with the Garlic Press. Cook for 30–60 seconds, or just until the garlic is fragrant.
Stir the broth, marinara, broccoli, and pasta into the pan. Increase the heat to high; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7–9 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked but firm.
Meanwhile, chop the basil with the Coated Utility Knife. Process the croutons in the Manual Food Processor until finely chopped. Remove the blade and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir with the Small Mix ‘N Scraper® to combine.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the cream cheese and basil until blended. Sprinkle the crouton mixture evenly over the pasta. Place the pan 2"–4" (5–10 cm) from the heating element. Broil for 1–2 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (½ cup/125 mL): Calories 270, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Sodium 580 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 14 g
8 oz. (250 g) Italian turkey sausage (2 links, casings removed) or 8 oz. (250 g) 90% lean ground beef can be substituted for the bulk Italian pork sausage, if you’d like.