Crostini with Lemon-Basil Ricotta Spread
- Lemon-Basil Ricotta Spread
- 1 lemon
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- 4 oz (125 g) goat cheese
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and black pepper
- 1 French demi-baguette, cut into 16 slices, ½” (1 cm) thick
- Olive oil for spritzing bread
1 crisp pear or red apple, cut into16 thin slices with Simple Slicer on #2 setting, slices cut in half
2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
2 tbsp (30 mL) dried cranberries
2½ tbsp (37 mL) toasted chopped walnuts
|Overlap two pear slice halves on each bread slice. Drizzle evenly with honey and sprinkle with cranberries and walnuts.|
¼ cup (50 mL) fig spread or preserves
1 oz (30 g) prosciutto slices, cut in half
1½ tbsp (22 mL) chopped fresh basil leaves
|Spoon scant 1 tsp (5 mL) fig spread on each bread slice. Arrange prosciutto on top; sprinkle with chopped basil.|
|Lemon-Pepper Shrimp||16 medium shelled deveined cooked shrimp, (see cook’s tip for directions) |
2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) Lemon Pepper Rub
½ cup (125 mL) loosely packed fresh baby arugula
|Top each bread slice with 1 shrimp. Top with 1-2 arugula leaves.|
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Choose a variation from the chart above.
- To make the spread, zest the lemon to measure 2 tsp (10 mL).Save the remaining lemon for another use.
- In a small mixing bowl mix together basil, ricotta, goat cheese, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
Prepare the variation ingredients.
- Remove the platter from the oven. Evenly divide ricotta mixture onto the bread slices. Finish according to chart.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
(Walnut-Pear): Calories 140, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 260 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 4g, Protein 6 g
(Prosciutto-Fig): Calories 140, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 310 mg, Carbohydrate 22g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 6 g
(Lemon-Pepper Shrimp): Calories 140, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 390 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 9 g
To cook the shrimp: In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with oil and rub until it’s coated. Heat a grill panover medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through.