Butternut Squash & Apple Stuffing
This is a savory and sweet stuffing without all of the fat and calories of a traditional recipe.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2½ lbs–3 lbs / 750 g–1 kg)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups / 500 mL)
- 5 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 2 cups / 500 mL)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) low–sodium chicken, turkey, or vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- 16 cups (4 L) ½” (1 cm) day–old, cubed French or Italian white bread (16 oz / 454 g loaf)
- ½ cup (125 mL) pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the neck of the butternut squash from the body, reserving the body for another use. Peel the neck and spiralize with the ribbon blade (not comb blade) of the Veggie Spiralizer. Then spiralize the cored apple.
- Melt the butter in a 12” (30 cm) skilletover medium heat. Add the onions, celery, sage, and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the butternut squash and apple. Cook and stir occasionally for 5–7 minutes or until softened.
- Add the broth, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowland add the chopped parsley. Stir in the cubed bread and the broth mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a buttered Stone Rectangular Baker. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Top with pomegranate seeds, if desired.
- 16 servings of (¾ cup/175 mL each)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (¾ cup / 175 mL): Calories 190, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 330 mg, Carbohydrate 29 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 7 g, Protein 6 g
If your bread is fresh, cut bread into ½” (1 cm) cubes to make 16 cups (4 L). Spread the cubes out onto 1–2 baking sheets and dry in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 15–20 minutes. The bread cubes can be made 2–3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.