Apple Pie Crumble Cake
This dessert lets you have your cake and eat your pie too.
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- Canola oil for brushing
- 1 cup (250 mL) plus 1½ tbsp (22 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Cinnamon Plus™ (see cook's tip)
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut in half lengthwise (about 1 ¾ lb/750 g)
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) all–purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- Crumb Topping
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Cinnamon Plus™
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush the bottom and sides of a deep 9" or 10" (23- or 25-cm) pie dish with oil.
Combine 1½ tbsp (22 mL) of granulated sugar and Cinnamon Plus® in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Using the Quick Slice, slice the apple halves and layer the slices in the bottom of the pie plate (about ⅔ of the way up the sides). Sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
Beat the remaining 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the oil and vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and salt, and pour the batter over the apples.
- Combine all of the crumb topping ingredients and sprinkle them over the batter.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55–60 minutes.
Let the cake cool for at least 1 hour. If desired, serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1 slice): Calories 300, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 31 g (includes 23 g added sugars), Protein 2 g
You can substitute the Cinnamon Plus™ with ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon and ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg. In the topping, substitute with equal parts ground cinnamon.