Savory Mashed Root Vegetables
A tasty and healthier version of mashed potatoes will be a hit at your next party!
- 2 tbsp (mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) assorted root vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, rutabaga or turnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup (175 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk or half and half
- 12 small fresh thyme sprigs (4” lengths/10 cm)
- 2 bay leaves
- Sliced green onions and sour cream (optional)
- Microwave the butter, oil and green onions in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven, uncovered, on HIGH 1-2 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in the assorted root vegetables, broth and salt. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cook time, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk, thyme, and bay leaves and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the mixture stand until the vegetables are cooked. Carefully remove the thyme and bay leaves.
- Combine the vegetables and milk in a blender or electric food processor. Blend in two batches until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream, if desired.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (½ cup/125 mL): Calories 100, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 340 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 9 g, Protein 2 g