Sausage and Apple Herbed Stuffing
Turkey just isn't complete unless it is passed with a pan of aromatic stuffing.
- 1/2 lb (250 g) bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup (125 mL/1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped onion
- 1 package (14 oz/370 g) herb-seasoned cubed stuffing
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped apples
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each or 900 mL) chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place sausage into (10-in./25-cm) Skillet; cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove Skillet from heat and transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate. (Do not drain Skillet.)
Add butter to Skillet; heat over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until foamy. Add celery and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
In Stainless (6-qt./6-L) Mixing Bowl, combine stuffing, cranberries, apples, seasoning mix and sausage. Add vegetable mixture and broth; toss until moistened.
Spoon stuffing into Deep Covered Baker. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Carefully remove lid using Oven Mitts, lifting away from you; bake an additional 30 minutes or until stuffing is golden brown and heated through.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 210, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 720 mg, Fiber 3 g
You can make this in the Enameled Cast Iron Skillet with Lid from start to finish.
To make this stuffing in the Brownie Pan, bake the stuffing cups uncovered, at 350°, for 15 minutes.