Kale Lentil Sausage Stew
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb (450 g) carrots, peeled
- 2 medium onions
- 2 containers (10.5 oz/225 g each) cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 8 cups (2 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 10 cups (2.4 L) loosely packed fresh kale leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated fresh parmesan cheese
Heat ½ tbsp (7 mL) of the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven XL over medium heat for 3–5 minutes or until shimmering. Add the sausage. Cook over medium heat for 6–8 minutes, using the Mix ‘N Chop to break the sausage into crumbles. When the sausage is no longer pink, drain and remove from the pot.
Cut the carrots into ½” (1 cm) slices. Cut the onions into chunks and process, in batches, in the Manual Food Processor until finely chopped.
Add the remaining oil, onion, tomatoes, carrots, pressed garlic, and oregano. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4–5 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to burst.
Add the sausage, stock, and lentils to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir the kale and vinegar into the pot. Let stand, uncovered, for 4–5 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- 12 servings of 1⅓ cups (325 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 780 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 30 g