Taco Chili Mac
Tacos, chili, and macaroni? Yes, please! In 30 minutes, you can make this one-pan meal the whole family will love. Plus, it’s under $4 per serving!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb. (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Everything Taco Seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz./398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz./425 g) tomato sauce
- 2½ cups (625 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 8 oz. (250 g) macaroni
- 2 cups (500 mL) tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 8 oz. (250 g) cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (2 cups/500 mL), divided
- 3 tsp (15 mL) Everything Taco Seasoning, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, plus additional for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Heat the oil in the 5-qt. (4.7-L) Nonstick Saute Pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add the onion and pepper and cook until softened, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pan, breaking it into chunks. Add the seasoning and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, about 5–7 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, tomato sauce, beef broth, and milk. Bring to a simmer and stir in the pasta. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If the pasta isn’t tender, add more beef broth or water and continue cooking).
- Meanwhile, combine the crushed tortilla chips, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the seasoning; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, milk, and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) of the seasoning; set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked, mix in the remaining cheese. Top with the tortilla chip mixture and bake, uncovered, for 6–8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Right before serving, drizzle with the sour cream mixture and top with cilantro, if you’d like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 560, Total Fat 29 g, Saturated Fat 14 g, Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 1,570 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 8 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 34 g
Double the onion, pepper, ground beef, and seasoning and then freeze half for an easy burrito night.
Try it with ground chicken or turkey instead