Tie-Dye Celebration Cake
This celebration cake will be the hit of the party. Plus, you can make your own custom color palette to fit your party’s theme!
- 1 package (15.25 oz/432g) white cake mix and other package ingredients
- 3 different colors of food coloring
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 6 cups (1.5 L) powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- ½ cup (125mL) Assorted small candies, sprinkles, or sanding sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour the Secret Center Cake Pan and the insert with the individual small wells; set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions.
- Divide the batter into three small mixing bowls. Dye each bowl of batter a different color and stir until combined.
- Randomly scoop the colored batter into the prepared cake pans. Using the Cake Tester & Releaser Tool, gently swirl the colored batter together for a marbled effect.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the frosting, beat the butter, vanilla extract, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add 3 cups (750 mL) of the powdered sugar and beat on medium speed until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add the milk and continue beating until blended then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining 3 cups (750 mL) of powdered sugar and beat on medium-high speed until well blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, trim the dome off the cake layers, if necessary. Place the layer with the secret inside wells on a plate or cake board. Frost or pipe around each of the wells and in the center of the cake. Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) of candies or sprinkles into each of the wells. Place the second cake layer on top. Frost the outside of the cake with buttercream and decorate as desired.
- 8 servings