Rio Grande Dip
- 1 small onion
- 3/4 lb (350 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Chipotle Rub
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) grape tomatoes (about 4 oz/125 g)
- 8 oz (250 g) Monterey Jack cheese, grated (2 cups/500 mL), divided
- 1 can (9 oz or 227 mL) bean dip
- Tortilla chips
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Cut onion into chunks. Process onion in Manual Food Processor until finely chopped. Place ground beef into (2-qt./1.9-L) Casserole. Add half of the chopped onion, 1 garlic clove pressed with Garlic Press and rub.
Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring and breaking into crumbles with Mix ‘N Chop. Drain, if necessary.
Meanwhile, add remaining garlic, jalapeño and cilantro to processor bowl; process until coarsely chopped. Add tomatoes; process until salsa is of desired consistency. Drain salsa.
Remove Casserole from heat. Top beef with half of the cheese. Spread bean dip over beef mixture. Top with salsa and remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, 15-17 minutes or until cheese is melted and dip is hot. Serve with tortilla chips.
- 16 servings of 1/4 cup/50 mL dip
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (1/4 cup/50 mL dip): Calories 120, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Sodium 280 mg, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 9 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
U.S. Diabetic Exchanges per serving: 1 Vegetable, 1 Med-Fat Meat, ½ Fat (0 Carb)