Baked Barbecue Wings
These sweet and tangy chicken wings use a quick barbecue sauce with Kansas City Rub, honey, and molasses. Bring plenty of napkins!
- 24 chicken wings (about 2½ lbs./1.1 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Kansas City-Style Barbecue Rub
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) molasses
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Kansas City-Style Barbecue Rub
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk or buttermilk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 pkg (14 oz or 397 g) coleslaw mix
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Toss the wings, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the rub, and baking powder in a large bowl. Arrange in a single lay er on a large sheet pan and bake until cooked through, flipping halfway throug h, for 30–35 minutes.
Combine the ketchup, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, and rub in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, 8–10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey.
Whisk the yogurt, milk, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and stir to coat.
When the wings are done, add them to a large bowl, pour the sau ce over them, and toss to coat. Ser ve warm with the coleslaw.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (6 wings and about 1 cup/250 mL slaw): Calories 740, Total Fat 38 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 330 mg, Sodium 1680 mg, Carbohy drate 37 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 31 g (includes 17 g added sugar), Protein 55 g
Flavor Boost: For extra flavor, substitute the sugar, mustard, and salt in the coleslaw dressing with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of South Carolina-Style Barbecue Rub.
A Versatile Sauce: You can also use this sauce on chicken thighs, ribs, or roasted cauliflower.