Caramelized Onion and Tomato Pizza
- ¾ cup (175 mL) warm water (120–130°F/49–55°C)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) instant yeast (about half a packet)
- 2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz. (120 g) mozzarella cheese, grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- Add all of the dough ingredients to the bowl of the Deluxe Stand Mixer in the order listed.
- Set to KNEAD with the dough hook attachment for 6 minutes. Remove the bowl.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with olive oil to coat, cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, and place somewhere warm to rise for 1-1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven and a pizza stone to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat the remaining oil in a saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the tomatoes and garlic cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have cooked down. Add the salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. Simmer 1-2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Stretch the pizza dough over a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal. Drizzle the dough with olive oil, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and top with onion and tomato mixture.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated stone and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 460, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 850 mg, Carbohydrate 68 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 5 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 16 g