Vanilla Fun Cakes
These colorful cupcakes brighten up your baking by using your favorite powdered drink mix to color, and flavor, your cupcakes!
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk
- ¾ cup (175 mL) flour
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) baking powder
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 6 cupcake liners
- 1-2 tsp (5–10 mL) milk
- ½ tsp (2 mL) unsweetened or low-sugar powdered drink mix, any flavor
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Whisk the sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, and milk in the Mixing Bowl until thoroughly combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Stir with the Silicone Scraper until the mixture is just moistened without overworking. (Don’t worry if the batter is a little lumpy.)
- Place a liner into each well of the Silicone Cupcake Pan. Divide the batter evenly among the wells.
- Bake until lightly golden-brown, 18–22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, stir the drink mix into the milk until it’s dissolved. Add the butter and powdered sugar, and stir until colorful and smooth. Add the star tip to the Mini Decorator Bottle, then use the Silicone Scraper to transfer the frosting to the bottle.
- When done, remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert onto a cooling rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Pipe frosting over each cupcake in a spiral pattern, starting at the edges and moving to the center.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 460, Total Fat 29 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Sodium 270 mg, Carbohydrate 50 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 37 g (includes 36 g added sugar), Protein 3 g
For fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth cupcakes, mix the batter until just combined. Overmixing the batter can make the cupcakes less fluffy.
Not sure which flavor of drink mix to use? You can use a few different colors of drink mix and swirl them together to create rainbow frosting!