This cheese fondue is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes and can be tailored to your liking whether you prefer to add a wheat beer, white wine, or stick with a broth. Pick cheddar, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese as your base.
- 1 lb. (450 g) cheddar, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese
- 4 tbsp (50 mL) butter
- ¼ cup (50 g) all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. (350 mL) wheat beer, chicken or vegetable broth, or dry white wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot sauce (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Bread cubes and assorted raw vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower
Grate the cheese with the Microplane® Adjustable Coarse Grater.
Add the beer, broth, or wine, and reduce to low heat. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream. Add the mustard and hot sauce, if desired, and mix thoroughly.
Add the cheese, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, melting completely after each addition. Whisk until smooth.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (3 tbsp/45 mL fondue): Calories 150, Total Fat 12g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 190 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 7g
Mix and match your beer, broth, or wine with different cheeses to find the combination you like best.
If you prefer a lighter beer or wine flavor, you can mix 6 oz. (175 g) of beer or wine with 6 oz. (175 g) of chicken or vegetable broth.