Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Sweet Basil Rub lets you add an Italian spin to comforting tomato soup and grilled cheese!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sweet Basil Rub
- 1 can (28 oz./794g) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy cream
- Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, softened
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Sweet Basil Rub
- 4 slices white or wheat bread
- 4 oz. (125 g) cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- For the soup, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is translucent, 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic and rub; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Puree the soup to your desired consistency with an immersion blender.
- For the croutons, combine the butter and rub in a small bowl. Spread the butter mixture on one side of each slice of bread. Turn the bread over and sprinkle two pieces with cheese and place the other slices on top with the buttered side facing up.
- Heat a 12" (30-cm) skillet over medium heat. Cook until golden brown, and the cheese is melted, 2–3 minutes per side.
- Cut the sandwiches into 1" (2.5-cm) pieces. To serve, place the croutons on top of the soup.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 1020 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 9 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 10 g
Creative Croutons: It’s easy to switch up the croutons. Try pepper jack cheese and ham, mozzarella and pepperoni, Havarti and pesto.
Lightened-up: For a lighter version, leave out the heavy cream in the soup and use reduced-fat cheese for the croutons.
Creamy Complement: Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt before serving.