BBQ Mac & Cheese
A lighter Southern spin on classic macaroni and cheese.
- 3 cups (750 mL) large shell pasta
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Kansas City-Style Barbecue Rub
- 12 oz. (350 g) reduced-fat cheddar or Colby jack cheese, coarsely grated (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) 2% plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated reduced-fat cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Kansas City-Style Barbecue Rub
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet for 2–3 minutes. Cook the peppers until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Sprinkle the flour over the peppers and stir to coat. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the milk and seasoning. Bring to just a boil or until it begins to thicken. Reduce the heat to low.
Add the cooked pasta, cheese, and yogurt. Mix well then transfer to a greased 9" x 9" (23 cm x 23 cm) baking dish.
For the topping, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, and rub in a bowl; sprinkle on the pasta.
- Bake until the breadcrumbs are light golden brown, 10–12 minutes.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 640, Total Fat 27 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 1,040 mg, Carbohydrate 58 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 13 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 39 g
Pasta Preference: You can use any other medium-size pasta like cavatappi or rigatoni.
Kicked Up: Add ½ jalapeño to the skillet with the peppers.
Protein Add-Ins: Pulled chicken or leftover barbecue add extra protein and even more flavor.