Walnut Quinoa Burgers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved walnuts
- 1/2 large red onion (about 3/4 cup/175 mL chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) olive oil, plus more for spritzing
- 1 can (16 oz/454 g) dark red kidney beans
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 6 whole wheat sandwich thins, split, toasted
- Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream, tomato slices, arugula, avocado slices, or chunky salsa (optional)
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350-400°F/180-200°C).
Combine quinoa and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from pan.
Using Food Chopper, finely chop walnuts and onion (keep separate).
Return skillet to heat; add oil and onion. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat.
Drain beans, reserving ¼ cup (50 mL) bean liquid, and rinse. Add beans to large mixing bowl; mash well using Mix ‘N Masher. Add bean liquid, cooked quinoa, walnuts, onion, bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin and salt; mix well.
Divide bean mixture into 6 portions. Spray base and press of Burger & Slider Press with oil using the Kitchen Spritzer. Add one portion of bean mixture; press into a patty. Repeat with spraying and pressing remaining bean mixture.
Grill patties, covered, 2-3 minutes per side or until or until grill marks appear.
Place burgers on sandwich thins and add toppings.
- 6 burgers
1 servings of veggie burger
Nutrients per serving:
You may substitute walnuts with pecans.