Skinny Mac 'N Cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs 700 g) cauliflower (half of a large head or 1 small head)
- 8 oz (250 g) uncooked elbow macaroni (2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 8 oz (250 g) reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups/500 mL grated)
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- Salt and black pepper (optional)
Cut cauliflower into large chunks, keeping core intact. Using Veggie Strip Maker, grate cauliflower florets into large Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl to measure 3 cups (750 mL) (see cook’s tips).
- Place cauliflower and macaroni in Rockcrok® Dutch Oven or Deep Covered Baker. Using Garlic Slicer, slice garlic into Dutch Oven.
Whisk stock, milk and flour with Stainless Steel Whisk until blended. Pour into Dutch Oven; mix well.
Microwave, covered, on HIGH 17–20 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring once halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, grate cheese with Microplane® Adjustable Coarse Grater.
Using Silicone Oven Mitt Set, carefully remove Dutch Oven from microwave to Stackable Cooling Rack. Add yogurt and 1½ cups (375 mL) of the cheese; stir until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Microwave, covered, on HIGH 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- 5 servings of 1 cup/250 mL
Nutrients per serving:
The easiest way to grate the cauliflower so that it stays in the bowl is to hold the Veggie Strip Maker at an angle into the large bowl while grating the florets. See step 1.