Hearty Tuscan Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 2 cans (15 oz/398 mL each) reduced-sodium pinto beans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (250g) Italian turkey sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cups (1 L) unsalted chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz/398 mL) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 pkg (5 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (about 5 cups/1.25L), washed and dried
- 16 melba toast rounds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) shredded Italian cheese blend (about 1½ oz/45 g)
Heat the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until shimmering. Cook the sausage 4-6 minutes or until it's no longer pink, breaking it into crumbles with the Mix ‘N Chop.
Using the Veggie Wedger, wedge the onion, then chop it with the Food Chopper. Cut the sweet potato into chunks, then coarsely chop the chunks with the Food Chopper. Add the onion, sweet potato, and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press to the Dutch Oven; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until the onion is softened.
Stir all the beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, seasoning mix, and pepper into the Dutch Oven. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Remove the Dutch Oven from the heat; add the spinach. Cover; let the soup stand for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Top the soup with melba rounds, then sprinkle with cheese.
Place the Dutch Oven 2-4" (5-10 cm) from the heating element. Broil for 2-4 minutes or until the croutons and cheese are lightly browned. Ladle the soup and croutons into bowls.
- servings of 8
Nutrients per serving:
The mashed beans help thicken the soup and make it creamy. The Manual Food Processor is the best tool to mash the beans and get them almost smooth.