Casbah Chicken & Couscous
This aromatic skillet entrée highlights flavors of Morocco with fresh mango and toasted almonds.
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Moroccan seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) blanched slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 large (about 450 g) mango (about 1 lb)
- 1 pkg (10 oz/375 mL) uncooked plain couscous (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
If using, place almonds into (12-in.) Skillet; cook over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove nuts from Skillet; set aside. Add oil to Skillet; heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add chicken to Skillet in a single layer. Cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center; remove chicken from Skillet and keep warm.
In Small Batter Bowl, combine broth, water, remaining 1 tbsp rub and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Slice onion into thin wedges using Santoku Knife; add to Skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender and beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Add broth mixture; bring to a simmer. Stir to loosen browned bits from bottom of Skillet.
Slice mango into thin wedges (see Cook's Tip). Stir mango, couscous and chicken into broth mixture. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Snip cilantro using Professional Shears. Toss cilantro into couscous with almonds, if desired, and serve immediately.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 320, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Protein 24 g, Sodium 890 mg, Fiber 3 g
Curry powder can be substituted for the Moroccan seasoning.