Grilled Wild Rice-Stuffed Trout
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) uncooked wild rice blend
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) orange zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 2 whole trout, dressed and scaled (14-16 oz/350-400 g each)
- Butcher’s twine
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and butter. Combine rice, onion, celery, almonds, parsley, orange juice, zest, butter and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and black pepper in medium mixing bowl; mix well.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Rinse inside cavities of trout with cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside cavities with remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and black pepper. Spoon rice filling evenly into each trout cavity. Using butcher’s twine, tie body of trout at 1-in. (2.5-cm) intervals. Brush outside of trout with oil.
Spray BBQ Flexible Basket with nonstick spray intended for the grill. Place trout in basket. Grill, covered, 15-20 minutes or until trout flakes easily with a fork, turning basket once. Remove trout from basket. Remove and discard twine. Serve.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 250, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 340 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 15 g