Chicken Burrito Bowl
This do-it-yourself chicken burrito bowl is not only easy to assemble, but tastes great and is a healthier option than take-out. It’s a perfect on-the-go lunch or dinner.
- Lightened-Up Cilantro Ranch Dressing
- 1 lime
- ½ cup (125 mL) low-fat buttermilk
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ cup (125 mL) quinoa, uncooked
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- ¼ cup (50 mL) reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ medium orange bell pepper, cut in half
- ¼ cup (50 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1½ cups (375 mL) romaine lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup (125 mL) cooked, diced chicken
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips
For the dressing, zest the lime to measure 1 tsp (5 mL) of zest. Juice the lime to measure 2 tbsp (30 mL) of juice. Combine the zest, juice, and remaining ingredients in the Measure Mix & Pour and mix until blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Combine ½ cup (125 mL) of the quinoa with 1½ cups (375 mL) of the water in the 3-qt. (3-L) Micro-Cooker® Plus, covered, on HIGH 15 for minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed. Set aside ¼ cup (50 mL) of the quinoa for the layered salad and reserve the remaining quinoa for another use. Cool completely before adding to the jar.
Fill the bottom of the Make & Take Mason Jar with black beans and then layer with the cooled quinoa.
Place all of the tomatoes in the Close & Cut and slice in half. Layer the tomatoes on top of the quinoa.
Place a bell pepper piece, skin-side down, on the base of the Quick Slice and slice. Repeat with the remaining bell pepper piece.
Layer the bell pepper strips on top of the tomatoes and then top with the corn, diced avocado, and top with lettuce and chicken. When layering, occasionally tap the jar to settle the layers and allow more room for filling.
Fill the lid of the Make & Take Mason Jar with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the salad dressing; reserve remaining dressing for another use. Keep crunchier toppings, such as tortilla chips, in a separate container and add right before serving.
- 1 servings of salad
Nutrients per serving:
(1 salad + 2 tbsp dressing) Calories 380, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 330 mg, Carbohydrate 50 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 39 g
Cooked chicken should be eaten within 3–4 days. If you're storing the salad in the jar for a couple of days, add the chicken the day you plan to eat it.
If you're adding avocado, squeeze a little lime juice onto it to minimize browning.