Spicy Roasted Vegetable Soup
Lightly roasting the vegetables provides this soup with a robust flavor.
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes (about 3.5 cups/875 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 large red potato (about 1 cup/250 mL diced)
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash (about 3 cups/750 mL diced)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Lime wedges, warm tortillas and sour cream (optional)
Preheat broiler. Chop bell pepper and onion into 2-in. pieces. Place onto Medium Sheet Pan; spray with oil. Broil 5-7 minutes or until lightly charred and softened. Place roasted vegetables, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, chipotle pepper and salt into blender. Blend until smooth.
Meanwhile, dice potato and zucchini into 1/2-in. cubes. Place potato and broth into (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 6-8 minutes or until potato begins to soften. Add roasted vegetable mixture to Casserole. Cook 7-8 minutes or until potato is tender, skimming often using Skimmer. Add zucchini and beans. Cook 4-5 minutes or until zucchini are tender. Serve with lime wedges, tortillas and sour cream, if desired.
- 8 cups
6 servings of 1 1/3 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 90, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 20 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 920 mg, Fiber 5 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1/2 starch, 2 vegetable (1/2 carb)
For best flavor, use an all-natural vegetable broth that does not contain mushrooms.