Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Get two amazing recipes out of this perfect go-to sweet dough recipe that makes fluffy Hawaiian rolls and soft and gooey cinnamon rolls.
- Sweet Dough
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk, warmed (100°-115°F/37°-46°C)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) active dry yeast
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) bread flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter (2 sticks), softened, cut into 1 tbsp (15 mL) pieces
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- One half of above prepared sweet dough
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) softened butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) light brown sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60 mL) softened butter (½ stick)
- ½ pkg (4 oz/125 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ½ cup (125 mL) powdered sugar
- In the bowl of the Deluxe Stand Mixer, combine the milk, active dry yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes, or until frothy.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the butter. Insert the dough hook and select Knead for 9 minutes. With 5 minutes remaining and the mixer still running, carefully add the butter, 1 piece at a time so it doesn’t clump together.
- Transfer to a large greased bowl and let rise for 1 ½ - 2 hours, or until doubled.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal halves and reserve one half for another recipe.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll the dough into a 12” by 18” (30 x 47 cm) rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over the dough. Combine the sugar, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll up along the long end (so you have an 18” (46 cm) log). Cut into (12) 1 ½” (4-cm)-pieces and place into a 9” x 13” (23 x 33 cm) pan. Let rise for 1 -1 ½ hours, or until puffy.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar in the bowl of the Stand Mixer. Using the paddle attachment, select the CREAM setting and press start.
- When the rolls have cooled, spread with the icing and serve.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Cinnamon Rolls: U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 520, Total Fat 28 g, Saturated Fat 17 g, Cholesterol 105 mg, Sodium 540 mg, Carbohydrate 58 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 23 g (includes 18 g added sugar), Protein 9 g
You can use the other half of the sweet dough recipe to make 12 Homemade Hawaiian Rolls.