This stuffing recipe is a basic herb stuffing that you can customize with family favorites like cranberries, nuts, and apples.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- Optional: 8 oz. (250 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 12 cups (3 L) day-old Italian bread, cubed
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter (1 stick), melted
- 2-3 cups (500-750 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh herbs (sage, thyme, or rosemary)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Heat the oil in Enameled Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and mushrooms (if using) and sauté until tender, about 10–12 minutes.
- Stir together the bread cubes, sauteed vegetables, melted butter, broth, salt, pepper, parsley, and herbs in a large bowl.
- Place the mixture back in the skillet. Bake until it’s lightly golden brown around the edges, 35–45 minutes.
- 12 servings of 1 cup (250 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1 cup/250 mL): Calories 230, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 700 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 2 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 1 g
You can use the Flex+ Multi-Prep Set to make this recipe even easier. Chop the onion, celery, and carrots using the multiuse blade. Slice the mushrooms with the slicing blade.
This recipe can be made in a 9" x 13" (33 x 23 cm) pan, as well.
If your bread is fresh, cut the bread into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes to make 12 cups (3 L). Spread the cubes out onto 1–2 baking sheets and dry in a 300°F (150°C) oven until lightly golden brown, 15–20 minutes. The bread cubes can be made 2–3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.