Spicy Sesame Cauliflower
- Oil for spraying pan
- 1 medium head cauliflower (around 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 2 egg white
- ¾ cup (175 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- ½-1 tbsp (7-15 mL) Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot cooked rice
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion slices or chopped cashews (optional)
Cutting around the core, trim the cauliflower into 1½” (4 cm) florets, and place in a 6-qt. (6-L) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl.
In a 1-cup (250-mL) Prep Bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
Pour the egg whites over the cauliflower and mix to coat. Add the panko and thoroughly coat.
Carefully place the cauliflower on the pan, ensuring the coating stays on the cauliflower. Bake for 20–22 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a small bowl, combine the honey, garlic pressed with the Garlic Press, soy sauce, Sriracha, and onion powder. Add to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Pour the mixture into the saucepan; stir and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Remove the cauliflower and place in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and mix to gently coat.
Serve over cooked rice and top with sesame seeds, green onions, or chopped cashews.
- 4 servings of 3/4 cup (175mL) cauliflower and 1/2cup (125mL) cooked Rice
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Total Fat 0.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 510 mg, Carbohydrate 56 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 17 g, Protein 15 g
To make a gluten-free version of this recipe, you can swap the soy sauce and panko for gluten-free alternatives.