Chicken & Broccoli Braid
Year after year, this is the most-searched-for recipe on our site! This impressive braid is filled with chicken, crisp vegetables, and cheese.
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken, shredded or chopped (see Cook's Tip)
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely grated
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 mL) All-Purpose Dill Mix or dried dill weed
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 pkg (8 oz. or 250 g each) refrigerated crescent dough
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) slivered almonds
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Add the chicken, broccoli, bell pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.
Add the cheese and mix gently. Add the mayonnaise, dill, and salt and mix well.
Spread the filling evenly over the middle of the dough. To braid, lift two opposite strips of dough up, twist once, then lay over filling so that the ends meet at the center. Lightly pinch the ends together. Continue alternating strips to form a braid. Tuck ends up to seal at end of braid.
Brush the egg white over the dough. Sprinkle the braid with almonds. Bake until deep golden brown, about 25-28 minutes.
- 10 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Protein 16 g, Sodium 530 mg, Fiber 1 g
Cook and chop 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves to get 2 cups (500 mL) of chopped cooked chicken.
It's best to keep crescent roll dough refrigerated until ready to use. Once the dough is warm, it becomes soft and sometimes sticky, making it difficult to work with.