Salsa Verde Brunch Squares
- Canola oil for greasing pan
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) (4%) small curd cottage cheese (4 oz/125 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 jalapeño peppers (see Cook’s Tip)
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro
- 1 pkg (12 oz/350 g) cooked spicy-flavored chicken sausage (such as jalapeño or chorizo)
- 4 oz (125 g) Colby & Monterey Jack cheese blend (1 cup/250 mL grated)
- 1 can (11 oz/311 g) tomatillos
Remove stems from jalapeño peppers and cut in half lengthwise with Utility Knife; carefully remove seeds. Cut jalapeño and onion into small chunks.
Finely process jalapeño, onion and cilantro in Manual Food Processor. Add half of the jalapeño mixture to egg mixture in batter bowl and mix well. Pour egg mixture into pan.
Cut each sausage lengthwise into four strips and then crosswise into ¼-in. (6-mm) pieces. Grate cheese with Microplane® Adjustable Coarse Grater. Sprinkle sausage pieces and cheese over egg mixture.
Bake 15-17 minutes or until set and knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, drain tomatillos. Add tomatillos to remaining jalapeño mixture in processor. Process until mixture reaches the consistency of chunky salsa.
- 12 servings of 1 square and 1 tbsp/15 mL salsa
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 190, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 220 mg, Sodium 440 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Fiber 1 g,
Protein 15 g
Wear plastic gloves when working with the fresh jalapeño peppers. Oils from the peppers’ seeds and membranes can irritate your skin and eyes. If you like heat, leave the seeds in.
You can substitute any cooked sausage of your choice for the cooked chicken sausage, if you’d like.