Hearty Tuscan Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 2 cans (15 oz/398 mL each) reduced-sodium pinto beans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (250g) Italian turkey sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cups (1 L) unsalted chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz/398 mL) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 pkg (5 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (about 5 cups/1.25L), washed and dried
- 16 melba toast rounds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) shredded Italian cheese blend (about 1 1/2 oz/45 g)
Using Veggie Wedger, wedge onion, then chop with Food Chopper. Cut sweet potato into chunks, then coarsely chop with Food Chopper. Add onion, sweet potato and garlic pressed with Garlic Press to Dutch Oven; cook and stir 5–6 minutes or until onion is softened.
Stir all beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, seasoning mix and pepper into Dutch Oven. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Remove Dutch Oven from heat; add spinach. Cover; let stand 2–3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Top soup with melba rounds; sprinkle with cheese.
Place Dutch Oven 2–4 in. (5–10 cm) from heating element. Broil 2–4 minutes or until croutons and cheese are lightly browned. Ladle soup and croutons into bowls.
- servings of 8
Nutrients per serving:
The mashed beans help thicken the soup and make it creamy. The Manual Food Processor is the best tool to mash the beans and get them almost smooth.