Crispy Goat Cheese Salad
This springtime salad with crispy herbed goat cheese is the perfect pairing with a glass of rose and brunch with friends.
- Crispy Goat Cheese
- 10.5 oz. (315 g) plain goat cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Three Onion Rub, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup (250 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- Sweet Onion Vinaigrette
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Three Onion Rub
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white wine, red wine, or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 8 cups (2 L) baby spring mix, spinach, or other greens
- 1 cup (250 mL) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) grapes, halved
- 2 small apples, cored and cubed (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- Optional topping: 2 cups (500 mL) chopped or shredded chicken
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a medium bowl, combine the goat cheese and 2 tsp (10 mL) of rub. Mix until the seasoning is well distributed.
Divide the goat cheese mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into small pucks, about 1½" (4 cm) in diameter.
Combine the panko and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) of rub in a shallow bowl. Place the flour and egg in 2 separate bowls. Dredge each piece of goat cheese in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the goat cheese into the beaten egg and then into the panko breadcrumbs, gently pressing the cheese into the breadcrumbs so they stick.
- Arrange the coated goat cheese on a nonstick baking sheet in a single layer. You can bake for 15–18 minutes or air-fry for 10–12 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Meanwhile, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together and set aside.
- When the cheese is done, carefully remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- Toss the greens with the walnuts, grapes, apples, and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide the salad onto four plates and top each with 2 pieces of cheese. Add chicken, if you’d like.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 810, Total Fat 65 g, Saturated Fat 17 g, Cholesterol 125 mg, Sodium 710 mg, Carbohydrate 56 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 27 g (includes 4 g added sugar), Protein 27 g
Just Add Nuts: If you don’t like walnuts, swap them for pecans, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, or even sunflower seeds.
Pick Your Protein: Make this meal even more filling with grilled chicken breast, seared salmon, or juicy steak.