Skillet Fideos with Shrimp and Roasted Peppers
This is a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 24 large uncooked, shell-on shrimp (21-25)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 4 cups (1000 mL) chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 1 can (8 oz/250 g) tomato sauce
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted, divided (see Cook’s Tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh basil leaves, divided
- 12 oz/350 g uncooked angel hair pasta
- 2 oz/60 g goat cheese, crumbled
Remove shrimp from shells (do not discard shells); set shrimp aside. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in Executive Nonstick Skillet over mediumhigh heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add shells; cook 3-4 minutes or until browned. Remove Skillet from heat. Combine shells and broth in Large Micro-Cooker®; microwave, covered, on HIGH 7-8 minutes or until hot. Discard shells; set broth mixture aside.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil, pressed garlic and pepper flakes in Skillet over medium-high heat 10-20 seconds or until fragrant. Add wine; cook 2-3 minutes or until wine is reduced by half. Add broth mixture and sauce. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes.
Slice bell peppers and basil into strips. Add pasta to Skillet. Cook, covered, 1-2 minutes or until pasta begins to soften. Add shrimp, half of the bell peppers and 3/4 cup of the basil to Skillet. Cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Top with remaining bell peppers, basil and cheese.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 380, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Carbohydrate 48 g, Protein 23 g, Sodium 910 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
3 starch, 2 medium-fat meat (3 carb)
To roast peppers, preheat broiler. Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stems. Place skin side up on Medium Sheet Pan. Spray peppers with oil. Broil 12-15 minutes or until charred. Place peppers into Classic Batter Bowl, cover and refrigerate. Peel when cool.