You'll be amazed at the perfect results you get from "baking" this down-home dessert in your microwave oven.
- Fruit Filling
- 1 jar (12 oz/350 g) strawberry preserves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples (about 1 pound/450 g)
- 3 cups (750 mL) rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch(1 cm) slices
- Streusel Topping
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter or margarine, melted
- 20 square shortbread cookies (1 1/4 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural whole almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- Thawed, frozen whipped topping or vanilla ice cream (optional)
For fruit filling, mix preserves, sugar and flour in Small Batter Bowl; set aside. Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Cut apples in half crosswise. Combine apple slices and rhubarb in Stainless (6-qt./6 L) Mixing Bowl; add preserves mixture, tossing gently. Spoon filling into Deep Dish Baker.
For streusel topping, microwave butter in Large Micro-Cooker® on HIGH 45-60 seconds or until melted. Chop cookies and almonds using Food Chopper. Add cookies, almonds, flour, brown sugar and Cinnamon to melted butter; mix well. Sprinkle mixture evenly over fruit filling.
Microwave on HIGH 13-15 minutes or until apples are tender, turning dish after 7 minutes. Let stand about 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 420, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 68 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 180 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 3 1/2 fruit, 3 fat (4 1/2 carb, 2 fat)
You'll get excellent results when making these fruit crisps in the microwave oven, but they can be prepared in a conventional oven, too. For fruit filling, use 3 tablespoons (45 mL) flour in the Apple-Rhubarb Crisp and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) flour in the Pine-Apple Crisp. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
For a tropical twist to Pine-Apple Crisp, substitute crisp coconut bar cookies for the shortbread cookies and ground nutmeg for the Cinnamon.