Gruyère Cheese Fondue
- 1 lb (450 g) Gruyère or Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Assorted dippers such as cubed bread, apples or steamed broccoli (optional)
Toss shredded cheese with cornstarch to coat; set aside. Cut garlic clove in half; rub over inside surface of (1.5-qt./1.4-L) Saucepan. Add wine to Saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to a simmer.
Add cheese to wine, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, whisking after each addition until completely melted. Add mustard, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
Cook fondue, stirring frequently, until bubbly around edges (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat; serve with assorted dippers.
- 3 cups (750 mL)
16 servings of 3
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 1 g, Protein 9 g, Sodium 110 mg, Fiber 0 g