Warm Cabbage Slaw
This warm slaw is a great topping for grilled bratwurst, polish sausage, patty melts, and Reuben sandwiches.
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/4 medium head0
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) caraway seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and ground black pepper
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-low heat.
Cover the pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place on the grid of the grill. Grill for 20–30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- 9 servings of 1/3 cup (75 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 40, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 75 mg, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 1 g
To prepare this recipe on the stovetop, follow steps 2–3. Heat the pan over medium-low heat. Cook, covered with the lid, for 20–30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.