This festive-looking snack becomes a real "hands on" appetizer when you invite everyone to pull off their own serving.
- 1 pkg (12 oz/ 340 g) refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried basil leaves
- 1 oz (1/4 cup/125 mL) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate biscuits horizontally in half to form 20 biscuits. On Medium Round Stone with Handles, arrange 6 biscuits, with edges touching, in circle. Arrange remaining biscuits, edges touching, in another circle around center ring of biscuits. Gently press biscuits together with fingers to seal, leaving outside edges scalloped for petal effect.
- Using Kitchen Spritzer, lightly spray biscuits with oil. Using Garlic Press, press garlic over biscuits; spread evenly. Using Food Chopper, chop tomato, bell pepper and onion; sprinkle evenly over biscuits along with oregano and basil.
Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are golden brown; remove from oven. Using Rotary Grater, immediately grate cheese over warm biscuits. To serve, pull biscuits apart.
- 20 biscuits
10 servings of 2 biscuits
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Approximately 130 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving
Pressing the garlic allows it to release more or its oils, producing a stronger flavor than if the cloves are sliced or left whole.
While other forms of garlic (i.e. garlic powder, garlic salt or jarred minced garlic) may be more convenient, they don’t measure up to the robust flavor of the less expensive, more readily available fresh garlic.
There’s no need to peel garlic cloves before adding to the Garlic Press. Just pop the clove, skin and all, into the hopper and squeeze. The garlic flesh will be forced through the holes, while the skin stays in the press. For easy clean-up, simply lift the papery skin out of the hopper using the self-storing cleaning tool before pressing the next clove.