Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
These pulled pork sandwiches (created by Spoon Fork Bacon!) come together easily in a slow cooker, and the pineapple slaw gives them a summery twist.
- Pulled Pork
- 3 ½ tbsp (52 mL) Smoky Applewood Rub, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 ½ lbs. (1.6 kg) boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3 equal pieces
- ½ onion, diced (about 2 ⁄3 cup/150 mL)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) barbecue sauce, plus more for drizzling
- Pineapple-Cabbage Slaw
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely shredded cabbage
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced pineapple
- 8 brioche buns, lightly toasted
- Whisk together the rub and oil in a large bowl. Add the pork shoulder and mix until the pieces are fully covered with the seasoned oil.
- Place the onion, garlic, orange juice, and stock into your slow cooker and top with the pork shoulder pieces. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 45 minutes before the pork has finished cooking, make the slaw by combining the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add all the shredded cabbage to the bowl and toss together until coated. Fold in the pineapple strips until evenly mixed.
- Cover the slaw with plastic wrap and refrigerate until about 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and transfer it to a large baking dish. Shred the pork with two forks, removing any large chunks of fat or gristle.
- Sprinkle salt and barbecue sauce over the pork and stir together until evenly combined.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place the pulled pork on the buns and top with the slaw. Drizzle with additional barbecue sauce, if you’d like.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 860, Total Fat 45 g, Saturated Fat 14 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Sodium 1,570 mg, Carbohydrate 71 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 29 g (includes 9 g added sugar), Protein 44 g
Flip the Fruit: Swap pineapple with finely shredded apples for a crisp apple slaw.
Split Chicken: Follow the same instructions as for the pork, but remove the skin and bones before shredding.
Taco ‘Bout It: Swap tortillas for the buns and add a dash of hot sauce to kick things up