Chunky Beef & Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (3 lbs/1.4 kg), trimmed, cut into ½-in. (2-cm) pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL each) salt and black pepper
- 2 cans (28 oz or 796 mL each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 cans (15 oz or 398 mL each) pinto or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil in All-Purpose Pot over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add one third of the beef; cook 6-8 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
Remove beef and set aside. Repeat with remaining oil and beef two more times, removing beef after each batch.
Add onions, bell peppers and pressed garlic to drippings in Pot; cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Return beef to Pot; add remaining ingredients, except beans. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 1 hour 30 minutes-2 hours or until beef is tender. Add beans during last 30 minutes of cooking. Skim fat from surface of chili before serving, if necessary.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 500 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 34 g