Seared Lemon Broccolini Medley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 large lemon, cut into ¼" (6 mm) thick slices
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, stems diced and leaves chopped into 3" (7.5 cm) pieces
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coarsley ground salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 bunches broccolini, cut into 4" (10 cm) lengths (about 2lb/1kg)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15mL) pine nuts
Melt the butter in a 5-qt. (4.7-L) Nonstick Saute Pan over medium heat. Add the lemon slices and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes per side. Remove the slices from the skillet and set aside.
Add the Swiss chard stems, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper to the skillet; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the broccolini and garlic; cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the Swiss chard leaves and broth, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 6–8 minutes, or until the broccolini is crisp-tender and the Swiss chard is wilted, stirring occasionally.
Top with the Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and seared lemon slices.
- 18 servings
Nutrients per serving:
(About ½ cup/125 mL): Calories 45, Total Fat 1.5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 140 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g (includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 3 g
Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale. It grows in slender individual stalks, topped by small florets. Broccolini stalks cook faster than broccoli.