Mexicali Cornbread Squares
These south-of-the-border appetizer squares are hot on
flavor and easy to serve.
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 can (3.25 oz/125 mL) pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced green bell pepper
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/125 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 container (8 oz/250 mL) sour cream
- Snipped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
- 1 pkg (8.5 oz/251 mL) corn muffin mix (plus ingredients to make muffins)
- 1 egg
- 1 can (16 oz/473 mL) fat-free refried beans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Pantry Southwestern Seasoning Mix
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly brush Rectangular Baker or Large Baker with oil. Prepare muffin mix according to package directions, adding additional egg. Pour batter into baker, spreading evenly. Bake 12-15 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool completely.
In Classic Batter Bowl, combine refried beans, seasoning mix and garlic pressed with Garlic Press; mix well. Spread bean mixture over cornbread using Large Spreader. Chop olives using Food Chopper. Sprinkle olives and bell pepper over bean mixture. Arrange tomato slices evenly over toppings. Grate cheese over tomatoes using Rotary Grater.
Attach open star tip to Easy Accent® Decorator; fill with sour cream. Pipe one rosette onto each tomato slice; sprinkle with cilantro. Cut into squares.
- 15 servings of 1
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 210, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 550 mg, Fiber 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 1/2 starch, 2 fat (1 1/2 carb)
Taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix, if desired.
For easier serving, arrange tomato slices over toppings in three rows of five.
For a quick way to snip fresh herbs without the mess, place the herb in a small, deep bowl and snip with Professional Shears.
This recipe can also be prepared in the Large Bar Pan, if desired.