Roasted Corn & Red Pepper Chilled Soup
This is an ideal on-the-go meal that you can feel great about eating!
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh corn kernels
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1–2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 2 cans (14.5 oz or 284 mL each) chicken broth, divided
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
Combine the corn, bell pepper, jalapeño, green onions, and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the oil in a large bowl and toss to coat.
Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the grill pan. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Stir and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of the corn mixture in small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Place half of the remaining corn mixture and 1 can of chicken broth into a blender container. Cover and purée until well blended. Place the soup into a large mixing bowl. Repeat with the remaining corn mixture, chicken broth, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
To serve, top each bowl with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the reserved roasted corn mixture.
- 4 servings of 1.5 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 960 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 10 g Protein 6 g