Harvest Brown Rice Salad
The slightly bitter flavor of radicchio is balanced by the sweetness of our sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle in this colorful salad.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) apple cider
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 1 medium red baking apple such as Jonathan
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle
- 1 large head radicchio
- 5 stalks celery
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted walnuts or Cinnamon-Glazed Walnuts (see Cook's Tip)
- 2 oz (60 g) crumbled goat cheese
For rice mixture, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil to (1.5-qt./1.4-L) Saucepan; heat over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add rice; stir until well coated with oil. Stir in cider and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in cranberries; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, for apple, heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Place butter into (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; microwave on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted. Core apple using The Corer™; slice crosswise into 1/4-in. (6-mm) rings. Brush both sides of apple rings with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon sprinkle, gently pressing to adhere to apple.
Spray Grill Pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Grill apple rings 1 minute on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from pan. Set aside six apple rings for garnish. Cut remaining apple rings into quarters; add to rice mixture.
- Add rice mixture to Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; cool slightly. Set aside four large outer leaves of radicchio for later use. Thinly slice remaining radicchio using Chef's Knife. Thinly slice celery on a bias; chop chives. Toss vegetables and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil with rice mixture. To serve, spoon salad into reserved radicchio leaves; garnish with walnuts and reserved apple rings. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 600, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 85 g, Protein 11 g, Sodium 460 mg, Fiber 7 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
4 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 fat (5 carb)
Cinnamon-Glazed Walnuts: Combine 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle, 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, 1 tbsp (15 mL) corn syrup and 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt in (8-in./20-cm) Sauté Pan. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Add 1 cup (250 mL) walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until walnuts are fragrant. Spread walnuts in a single layer on Parchment Paper. Cool completely.
If you do not have Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle, lightly sprinkle apple rings with sugar after brushing with butter.