Zucchini Ribbon Primavera
Zucchini and carrots cut into fine julienne strips provide a colorful contrast to multigrain spaghetti for a fun pasta presentation.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 3 large shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 1/4 cups (800 mL) unsalted chicken stock or unsalted vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 oz (175 g) uncooked protein-enriched multigrain thin spaghetti noodles
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 oz (90 g) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 3/4 oz (20 g) Parmesan cheese (see Cook's Tip)
Heat oil in Executive (12-in./30-cm) Skillet (do not use stainless cookware) over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Finely chop shallots with Food Chopper. Add shallots and pressed garlic to Skillet; cook 30-45 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock, wine, salt and black pepper; cook, covered, 3-4 minutes or until simmering. Add noodles; cook, covered, 7-8 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cut zucchini and carrots into julienne strips using Julienne Peeler. Thinly slice bell pepper and coarsely chop basil using Chef's Knife. Add cream cheese to Skillet; stir until fully incorporated using Small Mix 'N Scraper®. Remove Skillet from heat. Add zucchini, carrots, bell pepper and basil; toss gently with Chef's Tongs. Divide pasta among serving plates; garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
- 4 servings of 1 1/4 cups pasta
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 450 mg, Total Carbohydrate 42 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 18 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat (2 1/2 carb)
Substituting protein-enriched multigrain pasta for regular pasta in meatless recipes is an easy way to add protein and fiber to your diet.
Use Vegetable Peeler to shave Parmesan cheese.