White Bean, Kale & Chicken Sausage Stew
This stew is hearty, healthy comfort food that's perfect for a chilly evening.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil, divided
- 2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (or 8–10 baby carrots)
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Garlic Rub, divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz./411 g) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can (15.5 oz./439 g) reduced-sodium cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4–5 cups (1–1.25 L) chopped kale (about 1 bunch whole)
- 1 demi French bread loaf, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- Optional: Finely grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil in a large pot over medium heat for 3–4 minutes. Add the chicken sausage. Cook until browned, 4–5 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pot.
Add the vegetables and cook until softened, 4–5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and 1½ tbsp (22 mL) of rub and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 12–14 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Stir in the kale until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken sausage.
Preheat the broiler and position your oven rack closest to the broiler. Combine the bread, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil, and 1½ tsp (7 mL) of the rub in a medium bowl; toss well.
Transfer the bread pieces onto a baking sheet. Broil for 2 minutes or until golden, stirring once after 1 minute (watching closely).
Serve soup with croutons. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, if you’d like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 150, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 880 mg, Carbohydrate 20 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 12 g
Vegetarian Option: You can omit the chicken sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. It will still taste amazing!
Meat Substitutes: You can also swap the chicken sausage with ground turkey or ground turkey sausage.