Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
- 1½ lbs. (700 g) sweet potatoes (about 2)
- 5 tsp (25 mL) Savory Maple Spice, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (4 oz./125 g each)
- 1 crisp Bartlett pear, chopped into ½" (1-cm) pieces
- ¼ cup (60 mL) orange juice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) raisins
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) warm milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 1" (2.5-cm) cubes. Toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the rub and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. Transfer to a greased medium sheet pan and roast until tender, about 25–30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3–4 minutes. Season the pork chops with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the rub. Sear the pork chops until browned, 2–3 minutes. Flip and sear for 1 additional minute. Remove the pork chops from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chopped pear, orange juice, vinegar, sugar, raisins, walnuts, and remaining rub. Cook until the liquid is reduced, about 6–8 minutes. Add the pork chops and any juices back into the pan and continue to cook until the pork chops reach 145°F (63°C), about 2–3 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the roasted sweet potatoes to a bowl. Add the milk and mash until smooth. Serve the pork chops and pear sauce over the mashed sweet potatoes.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 280, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Sodium 310 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 16 g (includes 5 g added sugar), Protein 27 g
Potato Preference: Try russet potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.
Chicken Choice: Swap the pork chops with boneless chicken thighs.
Spice Swap: You can use ground cinnamon in place of the Savory Maple Spice.