- Dill Sour Cream Topping
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) All-Purpose Dill Mix
- ½ tsp (2 mL) red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 russet potatoes (1½ lbs./700 g), peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) fine dry breadcrumbs or matzo meal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) All-Purpose Dill Mix
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil, divided
To make the topping, whisk the sour cream, dill mix, vinegar, and salt until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion using a grater or food processor.
Spoon the mixture onto a clean dish towel, bring the edges together, and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine the potato mixture, eggs, breadcrumbs, dill mix, salt, and baking powder until well blended.
In a large cast-iron skillet, heat ¼ cup (60 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat for 4–5 minutes. When the oil is hot, spoon ¼ cup (60 mL) mounds of the mixture into the pan, then flatten the mounds to form even disks. Cook undisturbed until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Add more oil to the pan and continue with remaining potato mixture until you have 16 latkes.
- Serve immediately with the topping.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 520 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 5 g