Bolognese Stuffed Shells
- 1 pkg (12 oz./350 g) jumbo shells (about 32 shells)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. (450 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp (280 mL) milk, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Italian Seasoning Mix
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 oz. (60 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 jar (24 oz./680 mL) marinara sauce
- 1 pkg (10 oz./300 g) baby spinach
- ¼ cup (60 mL) water
- 4 oz. (125 g) cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. (125 g) low moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- Optional: Additional Italian Seasoning Mix
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the shells for 1 minute less than the packaging directs. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes. Add the carrot and onion. Cook until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 4–5 minutes. Add the beef, 1 cup (250 mL) of the milk, tomato paste, and seasoning mix. Cook and stir, breaking the meat into crumbles, until the mixture is thickened and all the liquid has been reduced, 10–12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce over the bottom of a lightly greased 9" x 13" (23-cm x 33-cm) or 10" x 14" (25-cm x 35-cm) casserole dish. Fill the shells with meat mixture and arrange in a single layer. Top with the remaining marinara sauce.
Combine the spinach and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until wilted, about 2 minutes. Squeeze out the water to drain. Then drop in small spoonfuls evenly around the shells.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream cheese with the remaining milk until smooth. Drizzle the mixture over the shells and top with the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with additional seasoning, if you’d like.
- Bake for 16–18 minutes, or until bubbling around the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 690, Total Fat 30 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 900 mg, Carbohydrate 64 g, Fiber 6g, Sugars 16 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 37 g