Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
Filled with chicken sausage, rice and beans, these peppers are an all-in-one meal on the grill.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 6 oz (175 g) cooked spicy chicken sausage links (2 links)
- 1 can (15 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz (250 g) shredded pepper Jack cheese (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 4 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Southwestern Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tbsp (30 mL) cooked long grain white rice (see Grill Master's Tip)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Cut tops off peppers. Remove and discard stems and seeds; set peppers aside. Remove and discard casings from sausage links using Utility Knife. Chop sausage using Food Chopper.
Combine sausage, beans, 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the cheese, onions, pressed garlic, seasoning mix and black pepper in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; mix well. Gently stir in tomatoes, cooked rice and cilantro. Place bell peppers vertically onto prongs of BBQ Vegetable Rack. Spoon filling evenly into peppers using Medium Scoop.
Place rack on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 20-26 minutes or until filling is heated through and peppers are crisp-tender, carefully rotating rack one time using Silicone Oven Mitt. Top peppers with remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheese. Carefully remove rack from grill. Remove peppers from rack and serve.
- 4 servings of 1 pepper
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 490, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 650 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 27 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 high-fat meat (2 1/2 carb)
If desired, taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix.
To cook rice, combine 1 cup (250 mL) water and 1/2 cup (125 mL) long grain white rice in Rice Cooker Plus. Cover and microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Reduce power to 50%; microwave an additional 7-10 minutes or until tender. Let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
For a vegetarian version of this recipe, substitute 1/2 pkg (12 oz/350 g) thawed frozen meatless crumbles for the sausage. Proceed as recipe directs.