Slow Cooker Minestrone
This easy, vegetarian soup is loaded with beans, vegetables, and pasta, making it a great light lunch or dinner.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 6 cups (1.4 L) vegetable stock
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) unsalted cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) ditalini pasta or other small-shaped pasta
- 3 oz (90 g) baby spinach leaves (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- Optional: thinly sliced fresh basil and grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Combine the oil, pressed garlic, and paprika in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven. Cook over medium heat for 30–60 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the onion, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 5–7 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
Add the tomato paste and stir until combined. Add the stock, beans, tomatoes, and Parmesan rind. Place the Dutch oven into the Rockcrok® Slow Cooker Stand and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
Add the squash and pasta to the Dutch oven during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If cooking on LOW, increase the heat to HIGH for the last 30 minutes. Just before serving, remove the Parmesan rind and stir in the baby spinach. Serve with thinly sliced basil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 7 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (about 1¼ cups/310 mL): Calories 140, Total Fat 1.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 810 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 6 g
This recipe can also be made in the Rockcrok® Everyday Pan. Use the same amount of oil as in step 1, but reduce the remaining ingredients by half and follow the same cook times.